Thursday, January 31, 2008
Discourse 2
In the Discourse 2 there's a part where he describes the logic and minds. He is saying individuals work better than groups. He thinks with the individuals they follow one plan and there are no arguments or disagreements abouts the specific behaviors. He said Sciences are flawed because Science is put together by groups of people. How did you guys see this part or the others?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
i can see where your coming from on that topic and how you can see what he is saying about the two minds. but i through that paragraph of reading he seems to be saying that the first kind of mind is also someone who does not stick to anything for a long time but wanders. They do not have enough patience to wait for anything. They also cannot disipher which is right and wrong. But like you said they think they are "almighty" in a way and i almost got out of it they think they are better. The second mind realizes they still have a lot to learn but they are capable of knowing what they should and should not do. do you get what i'm saying i think it's a long the lines what you said but a little more indepth.
I agree with your posts about the group and individual thing. I think he believes that people work better on their own because there are no conflicts. Working in a group creates conflict because people have so many ideas and they can not agree on one thing. When you work along you just go with what you want.
As for Descartes stating in his logic and mind theories that individuality is more successful than groups, I don't really agree with him too much for one main reason - if it weren't for this blogging, for example, how would we all be able to share our ideas and learn more from each other? Yes, individuals have no problem solving because it is only themselves they are 'working with', and with a group there may be some disagreeing and bickering but that's what makes things work. Working in a group is much more beneficial than an individual because there is a lot more knowledge coming from more brains than just one...that's what I thought of Descartes theory on logic and mind.
I think that the concept of working alone and working in a group kind of go hand in hand in that a person should work by themselves and then work into a group effort. I believe that a person should work by themselves in order to create their own ideas and opinions. It allows them to choose their own environment and gives them their own "thinking space". I think after a person works alone that they should then work themselves into a group effort. Once a group has started the people can then combine their ideas and make comments and learn from each other, which is what we're doing here with these blogs.
I agree with the both of you on the two types of minds. I feel that Descarte was trying to establish between two types of people. Like Codi said.. the first type of mind is a person who has no patience and has all the confidence in the world. They put themselves on high pedestals. The second type, in my opinion, are the more modest people who know that they have faults and do not try to hide them. The second type of mind seems to me to be more realistic.
I was very interested in the foundation section Descarte was talking about. He kept mentioning foundations and reform, which lead him to give an example about pulling down all the houses in a city just to rebuild them in different styles. I got a little confused on that example. He said that this example persuaded him that it would not be reasonable. I am looking so much into this example that Im starting to confuse myself. If you guys have a different way to look at it, please let me know.
Referring to Danielle's example maybe because so many people are followers he is comparing them to the old community and to pull everything down and make it different you are making a new foundation with people not being followers and being there own selves and that would compare to the different houses in the city.
Post a Comment