Sunday, March 23, 2008

LOCKE-Book II chapter XIX Modes of thinking

Locke begins this chapter by saying the modes of thinking includes sensation, remembrance, and contemplation.

The first mode happens when you contemplate your own actions of life. He also says perception accompanies the impressions that are shown on the body by an object. This makes sensation distinct from the other different modes.

Remembrance is the just about the same as sensation except it is not constantly shown externally. It is reoccured in the mind. ex- recollection of when you went through something painful.

Contemplation is when something is thought about for a long period of time/a considerization.

I found Locke's idea of sensation is explained in a confusing way. He uses contemplation in it and I can also see where remembrance can be referred back to it . I think it could be explained and told more clear like he did for remembrance and contemplation. I found those descriptions more simpler and easy to follow.

No comments: