Monday, March 31, 2008

Book 2 ch. 8

How does the mind have an understand of the object?

Object (Objective feature: Independant of any experience consciousness) causes Idea of a certain thing (ex: white, cold, round-- Snow Ball) Subjective feature: Depenedance on some experience of consciousness.

Objects have power to produce.

Primary: Solidity, extension (take up space) mobility figure (utterly inseperable)

Secondary: Controversial *colors, tastes, sounds*
Not in the object but caused by insensible parts- secondary qualities does resemble insensible part of the object.

Primary is more simple than secondary it could be just the basic facts about an object. But the secondary goes more complex and descriptive about the figure.

2 comments:

Kate B-G said...

I agree with you when you say that primary is more of a secondary veiw. Since secondary is more physical and we would think of that first most of the time.

Codi said...

Secondary is definetly more physical. The Primary aspect makes you think more about and not just the basics about the object. When I see an object I agree i think of the secondary characteristics more