Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Book One, Chapter One.3.Method

I think in this section..he is trying to explain to how to find the truth in our ideas, opinions and what we know...He came about with three steps or ways into figuring it out....He explains how we have to figure out how we got those ideas(what caused us to have those ideas). Then find the certainty and evidence of those ideas. Third, examine everthing..I agree with his method, because in order to figure out if something is true is evidence. But then again im not to, sure because who is to say the evidence is true...so a lot of what we think we know may not be true...because a lot of what is thought of or learn is passed on, so it may be different from its original point.

2 comments:

Codi said...

I agree with Locke on the the first step- there are certain events or actions that cause different and specific kinds of thoughts.

With the ideas who is to say that your idea is true or false. It is just a thought or opinion about something- that doesn't mean there has to be evidence of truth in it.

The thirds step is to examine everything and I think that is good. To examine your ideas and everything it makes you more in touch with your thoughts and what you believe.

In opinion Locke's three steps are a good way to examine your ideas and thoughts. Except I don't think the second one is needed and could be replaced with something more relevant maybe, then to see if your thoughts are right or wrong.

Sharde03 said...

Codi..Im kind of on the same page as you with the second step...Yes,how can you say if your ideas are true are false when they are only ideas...thats the problem sometimes reading Locke and even Descartes you start agreeing and then they lead you up to a part where you may have doubt...