"We are capable of knowing certainly that there is a God."
In Chapter X, I feel that Locke relates himself a lot to Descartes. Both philosophers feel that every though there is no proof of God, they both believe in him without question. Locke states in this section that just because people are ignorant toward the subject of God is no reason to ignore it. I found interesting how Locke says "..he has so plentifully provided us with the means to discover and know him, so far as is necessary to the end of our being." By reading this quote, I feel that Locke has to believe in God because he feels that God wants people to discover him. Even though God has no "witnesses" or any real truths that anyone knows of, just the idea that God is part of our lives until the day we die truly shows that God is certainly something.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I believe Locke is saying that he gives us the different sources such as the Bible and church to give evidence that God does exist and that we should believe in him and become his followers. He is also saying if we choose to believe in him and let him in our lives we should do that till the end of our life.
Post a Comment