Hume makes distinction between impressions and ideas. Hume goes on and explains that impressions are lively and vivid perceptions, while ideas are taken from the memory or the imagination and are less likely to be lively and vivid. An example that spark notes gave for these ideas are: both the color red and the feeling of anger are considered impressions. Ideas are what come from impressions we think of or see. The example of the color red and anger are what Hume considers to be ideas.
Like I had said in my first Hume Blog- I believe Hume writes easy to follow and writes straight foward. The example with the color red associated with anger helped me understand his section with how he thought of ideas and impressions.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Codi, I understand and agree with everything you are saying here. But I am just a little confused on the topic of ideas. Hume states that the color red and anger are a form ideas. But thinking further into this whole idea concept, I dont know if I totally agree that anger is a form of idea. Anger is an emotion but I dont know if Hume is trying to say that the idea of anger comes before the actual emotion of anger?
I feel the same way about how Hume writes. His way of writing is very easy to understand. What you blogged about I would have to agree on. This is what I got out of this chapter too. I never personally thought about the difference between impressions and ideas, but Hume makes this very clear. Ideas constantly run through our minds, but with impressions, like love or anger, we receive certain feelings and emotions that go along with it.
Danielle i can see where your confusion is. But when you consider red and anger i know for myself i get an impression of some one turning red and and getting mad. You can impression the color and emotion picture in your mind.
Post a Comment