Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Power- Locke

"My business being not to search into the original of power, but how we come by the idea of it."

Locke writes in this section about power. An example he gives about power is "fire has the power to melt gold." I feel that both Locke and Descarte are very interested in power. They both talk about the idea of God and how he has endless power. Descarte especially has a hard time dealing with himself not being able to like God. God has endless power and I feel that power is a major issue with both Descarte and Locke. I believe that the idea of power originated from God. Descarte and Locke both believe in God but I think that they have so many questions that are unanswered so they focus their questions on the idea of power. They'll never retrieve answers to the questions they have about God, but by questioning power.. they might be able to better understand.

4 comments:

Codi said...

I understand they both of them want to believe that God is the largest power out there. But they question God's existance so much how do they really believe that is the most powerful. I think they need to stop questioning God and then they can really see and absorf how powerful God is.

Codi said...

I understand they both of them want to believe that God is the largest power out there. But they question God's existance so much how do they really believe that is the most powerful. I think they need to stop questioning God and then they can really see and absorf how powerful God is.

Robert Dotto said...

it seems to me that these people were so involved with religion because of when they lived. People back then were so religious it was impossible to denounce his existence. honestly, i think that they were suggesting that there is no god but merely questioned an aspectof him to prevent themselves from persecution (especially Descartes who wasn't even published until after his death..

Danielle said...

I dont exactly feel that they question Gods existance, but I feel that they question the power that God holds. Descartes especially has a problem not being able to be all perfect and powerful like God