Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Meditations 3- The existance of God

In meditation III, Descartes says that perception and imagination exists because it comes to him in his mind. He thinks about the existance of God and wonders if there is anything that keeps him from believing God is NOT real. He believes God is all powerful and finite but then again he believes that he is finite. He questions God and his perceptions and imaginations of Him.

5 comments:

Danielle said...

Regarding your post, I agree with you. I feel that Descarte is leaning more toward the fact that God is real. Like you stated he wonders if there is anything that keeps him from believing that he isnt. I find it interesting how Descarte questions himself regarding the idea of God. He questions if any ideas orginated from himself. The more he sits and thinks about this, the less he believes it.

Sharde03 said...

I think he just doesnt like the fact that he cannot "prove" that there is or isn't a God..He tries to figure out everything else and comes up with his own perceptions but this he cant get through to...So hits sits and thinks about is there a way to doubt God!

Codi said...

ya i can see where you both are coming from. I think he wants to believe in God but it's hard bc he has no evident truth besides the bible and his beliefs that God actually exists

Phil02 said...

He not only question his perception and imaginations of God he's not even sure of his faith. Descartes says, "I should at the first opportunity inquire whether there is a God" Descartes is hiden in his own mind and own believes. I do believe you should ask "WHY" but Descartes is confusing himself on so many different levels. The more i read his work the more i would expect from him and thats what he doing to himself setting his expectation level too high.

Codi said...

yeah, that is a good comment on the reading too. How can he believe God is all powerful if he is not even certain of God's existance. Descartes definetly confuses his points.