Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Meditations- Judgements

"Now the principal and most frequent error to be found in judgments consists in the fact that I judge that the ideas which are in me are similar to or in conformity with certain things outside me."


I believe that Descartes has a very hard time just believing what he hears. I believe this because of Descartes Four Rules. He had mentioned in the Discourse Part 2 about the Four Rules in which they would be very sufficent for himself. Rule 1 states "never to accept anything as true that I did not plainly know to be such." Applying this rule to the comment that Descartes made in the Meditations proves to me that Descartes feels that its a very common mistake. I believe that he feels very strongly on having/trying to make the right judgement with the right information instead of judging ideas with information that he cannot back up.

1 comment:

Codi said...

I believe Des cartes looks into some of the obvious facts too much and the non-present ideas not enough. He judges the truth too much and the non truth not enough.