Friday, February 15, 2008

Meditations 3-Paragraph 44(Falsity)

For although a short time ago I noted that falsity properly so called (or "formal" falsity) is to be found only in judgements, nevertheless there is another kind of falsity (called "material" falsity) which is found in ideas whenever they represent a non-thing as it were a thing.

Formal falsity- I think he is trying to say only judgements and thoughts could be false. And what he is saying about material falsity is when thoughts are conveyed as being an object and when you consider objects you think of it being a fact. So he is saying its a non-thing not an thing so it can have falsity.

3 comments:

Codi said...

This paragraph i find to be very confusing. but what i am getting out of it is that judgements are false because they are not always proven true. And material falsity is not real so therefore it is false?!!

Phil02 said...

I get the point on descartes statement on judgements and thoughts are false, but I do not agree; everyone opinion counts for something if not tou then for themselves. So for him to say that judgements is false then so is his on his point of view here.

Sharde03 said...

Phil02..I get what you are saying..I feel a lot of what Descartes says is wrong, he does himself. Yeah he has an opinion on something, but judgements are so called false. So that should make his opinions and judgements false.