"..that it is not absolutely impossible for ideas to arise, independent of their correspondent impressions. I believe it will readily be allowed that the several distinct ideas of colour, which enter by the eye, or those of sound, which are conveyed by the ear, are really different from each other; thought, at the same time, resembling."
Hume states in this section of the book that ideas could possibly arise while not having some sort of impression, which forces the idea upon you. Page 12 talks about the idea of color, which we discussed in class. I found the example about the shades of color to be very interesting. Hume gives an example of a color going from lightest to darkest or vice versa. He claims that a person will be able to identify if a shade is missing. He questions how people identify a missing shade when it has never really been shown to them. This example just proves the quote that I wrote above. Ideas do not just arise from impressions. Thinking about this whole topic, I started to think more in depth about ideas and the mind. I do agree with Hume when he says that ideas arise from impressions but on the other hand, I feel that the mind is very powerful. It does not mind some sort of impression to come up/think about ideas. It does it naturally
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I wrote a similar post! I agree with Hume that when shown a shades of color you would be able to tell which color is missing. But like you said, the mind is a very powerful thing!
i wrote on the color example also that we went over in class. I went on to say that you could def tell in a color spectrum if there is a shade missing from there but then someone who commented said if there was one shade out of many missing you may not be able to see that there was a shade missing. They changed my train of thought a little to think more into it cuz if you have like 20 different shades of blue and there was one taken out you may not see that it is missing.
Post a Comment