Now as far as ideas are concerned, if they are considered alone and in their own right, without being referred to something else, they cannot, properly speaking, be false.
Descartes is saying if you have an idea, with things just pertaining to that idea, they cannot be false. On the other hand, if that idea contains things that is outside of its context it can be question and be stated as being false.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I don't know...When I read this quote in part 3, I thought decartes was stating that if an idea has no other things or opinion associated with it, it can't be false. That's one of the things confused me about this part.
I found the way descartes worded this was really confusing.. I believe he is saying there is no falsity in ideas. Everyone has there own different ideas about things and they cannot be false.
i don't think that is what descartes is saying because if he is saying "if you have an idea, with things just pertaining to that idea, they cannot be false," then i guess if you think of the idea of babies, then the idea that killing babies is cool, then i guess that idea isn't false... also, there is no idea that is alone, in order to come up with an idea, you usually need to associate it with another idea.
Post a Comment